Do I have to fill out the statement of intent every year? Why?

You are required by law to submit a statement of intent yearly for each child you are homeschooling, ages 7-16. You are not asking permission from the school to homeschool. You may or may not hear back from the school. Submitting the statement of intent each year is what ensures your freedom to homeschool your child with minimal government interference.

What if I don't have a high school diploma?

If one parent has a high school diploma, and the other does not, use the parent with the high school diploma on the statement of intent as the parent educator. If neither parent has a high school diploma, it is still possible to homeschool, but you will need to be monitored for two years.

Common questions related to
homeschooling in North Dakota

When should I turn in the statement of Intent?

Where does it go?

The statement of intent should be turned in to the superintendent of your school district five days prior to the start of YOUR homeschool year. In general, it is good to practice the habit of turning it in at the start of the public-school school year each year.

At what ages should the statement of intent be turned in for my children?

You should turn in the statement of intent for your child beginning when they turn seven. If they turn seven during the school year, go ahead and turn it in at the beginning of the traditional school year in the fall. Do not turn it in prior to this as it sets a precedent for other homeschooling families who are following the law in the state. Although you are not required to submit the intent to homeschool after your child is 16, we recommend doing so because there may be times you have to prove you homeschooled until high school graduation. Your statement of intent is the proof that you homeschooled. You should keep a copy of the statement of intent, along with the date you submitted it, for your records.

If I cannot find my high school diploma, can I use a copy of my bachelor's degree?

Technically the law states that a parent should attach a copy of their high school diploma. However, you should have no problem with a copy of a higher degree as it implies a high school diploma was earned.

Can my student take classes or participate in extracurricular activities at the public school?

Yes, for most classes and activities, your child's right to participate is covered by the ND Century Code. (There may be some activities or classes not covered under the NDCC. You will need to ask the school's permission for your child to participate in these things.) If you wish for your child to participate in classes or extracurricular activities, list them on the statement of intent under "Public school/non-public school participation." Listing them there is how the school district gets funding from the state for your child to participate.

How does a homeschooled student earn a high school diploma?

The homeschool diploma is issued by the homeschooling parent. It is as valid as a public or private school diploma. The homeschooling parent will need to create a transcript for documenting credits earned beginning in ninth grade (if your student is doing high school level work in eighth grade, you can count it as a high school credit). There are many templates you can use online for creating a transcript. You can create your own high school diploma or order a customized one online.

Can my student earn college credit prior to graduation? Will they be elgible for scholarships and college admission?

Yes, homeschooled students can take Dual Credit classes through ND colleges and universities. Homeschoolers can also earn college credits through CLEP and DSST testing. Homeschoolers will be eligible for most college scholarships. Many colleges and universities are seeking ways to recruit homeschooled students. There are even college scholarships solely for homeschoolers! If a college you are applying to is requesting your homeschooled student to take the GED, contact the ND Homeschool Association for assistance.

What is HSLDA? How is it different from NDHSA and do I need memberships in both organizations if I homeschool?

HSLDA (Homeschool Legal Defense Association) is a non-profit organization that began in 1983. It is comprised of a group of attorneys and legal professionals who advocate for homeschooling freedom throughout the United States. If you have a legal issue related to homeschooling in your state and you are a member of HSLDA, you will be directed to an attorney who will represent you for free. It is strongly recommended that you have a membership with HSLDA if you are a homeschooler.

NDHSA (The ND Homeschool Association) is the state non-profit organization that was established in 1985. We support homeschoolers throughout the state by answering questions and helping support families who are homeschooling. We also put on a yearly convention and retain a lobbyist who keeps our members informed of any legislation related to homeschooling and works on bills to improve the freedom to homeschool in the state. Although membership is not required to receive support or attend the yearly convention, having a membership is what allows our organization to continue.

Does my ND student need to take the ND Civics test?

No, they do not.

Where do I get curriculum?

North Dakota does not have any specific curriculum requirement. You are free to use whatever curriculum you desire. There are many companies that sell to homeschoolers. A quick search of the web will yield multiple results. Our convention also features a large used book sale and a vendor hall which allows you to preview curriculum.